Subject: Depth of field cheat, saves render time.
From: Donald Drennan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 22:28:33 -0800

Hey, this is extremely simple, so I know it's been thought of by many of
you, but here it is:

I thought of this while trying to save render time.

I had my character in his distribution center which contains lot of
pallets of cardboard boxes and many other things going on. My camera was
going to be locked off anyway so, I saved my scene, deleted my character
and forground object (movie screen) and rendered out a background image.
Then in Photoshop I used gausian blur selectively to areas in the distance
and a slight overall blur. 

Next, I load my original scene in and this time delete everything BUT my
character and forground object, and load the background image which is now
slightly blurry. When rendered it gives the appearance of depth of field
without all the hassle and long render times.

Hope this helps somebody,

Don Drennan
SOS Productions
Columbus, Ohio